The electricity at home went out again today. It wasn't even a full minute, but I still had to reset electronic devices when the power came back on again. I wish I could afford a new solar installation with house battery. At least today is my "weekend", so the outage didn't interrupt work.
It sounds weird, but this long period of doing nothing at home has been good for my eyesight. I noticed it again today when I walked to the nearby asian grocery store for fresh fruit and veggies. I've mentioned several times over the years since moving here to the warzone, but the closed window blinds mean that I spend all day focusing on short distances inside the house. When I sometimes go outdoors, then distant things are blurry until my eyes have spent an hour or more of focusing at different ranges. Now, though, instead of watching videos or playing computer games at home after work, I'm just listening to audiobook stories. I gaze unfocused at the ceiling in bed, or I lay with my eyes closed entirely. Apparently that change keeps my eyes from getting "fixed" only on close range focus. Weird. I wouldn't have predicted that outcome.
These short walks also make it obvious that the arthritis continues to worsen. My feet feel the twinge of pain after only one or two blocks of walking. It doesn't get any worse pain level than that, given the relatively short distances involved, but I'm sure that I can't walk miles any more without paying a price afterward. Even my back and neck are hurting more than usual this afternoon. My joints don't tolerate much use any more. That's disappointing. I'm about 13.5 months from age 60, but my roaming range is already reduced. In earlier years, I could walk without caring about any destination. Now, I need to know where I will return, so I don't wander too far away.
no subject
Date: 2026-Sep-24, Thursday 09:40 pm (UTC)